Yarnings

Textural ranting and roving

Friday, July 20, 2007

Ivy's Fab Fibonacci Cardi

Or what I like to call the randomized, double-pattern, Fibonacci-controlled trial. I think my job follows me home a bit too much some days!

This stash-inspired cardi was born after I fell in love with the pattern, admiring a store sample at the Clever Ewe. Absolutely adored the finished project but did not want to buy any more yarn (see stash "law"). With the 9 partial balls of Shine Sport living in my stash, I threw this together.


Yarn: Knit Picks Shine Sport
Colors: Grass, Violet, Sky, Apricot, Butter, Orchid, Green Apple, River, Blush
Needles: US Size 2 and 3 24" Circulars
Gauge: 6.5 st/in in garter stitch using US 3 needles
Size: 18-24 Months
Cast On: June 15, 2007

The names of all colors were drawn at random until all but the 9th color had been drawn. The last color in the sequence was the last un-drawn color. The sequence of colors would be repeated as necessary for the size of the cardigan.

The number of garter stitch ribs per color was determined using the Fibonacci Number Sequence. The numbers used were limited to 1, 2, 3, 5, 8 and 13. Cards with these numbers were drawn at random until each color in the sequence had been assigned a Fibonacci number.

Through this process the stripe sequence was determined as: Grass 5, Violet 2, Sky 8, Apricot 3, Butter 2, Orchid 8, Grass 1, Green Apple 8, Apricot 3, Violet 2, Apricot 3, Sky 1, River 5, Blus 13.

The body and sleeves of the cardigan are based on the Lace Edge Cardigan in Simply Baby by Debbie Bliss, knit using established stripe pattern. The plan is to finish it with an EZ-inspired (and Tulip Cardi for that matter) attached I-Cord edging. For now all I have to show for the plan is the right front and bottom to show. More is coming soon I hope!

Knitting got a little loose above the armhole shaping so I switched to US 2 needles for this portion.

Just for illustration sake, the below pictures illustrate the stash storage allotment. Good for now. Maybe Ikea and I can dream up a larger solution!



Something about that stash makes me think I like green!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home