Yarnings

Textural ranting and roving

Monday, August 14, 2006

How hard can it be?

Six months and almost a labotomy later I can tell you that knitting lace ain't easy (I hear your snickering). It isn't hard either. It has these subtleties that make you swoon in delight and two seconds later ask for forgivness from whatever maker will listen.


This lovely Snowdrop Shawl began as the sincerest of gifts and taught me lessons far beyond it's humble use. I am never one to pick easy tasks for myself. Love the challenge. Not sure I enjoy the mental anguish such choices often reap.


My husband's grandmother has a terminal heart condition and is always very cold. She is the most enigmatic of women. Even in her twilight she manges to be beautiful, charming, warm, and immensely humble. I love this woman. I could only think of something as beautiful and elegant as this shawl to express my feelings for her and convey my prayers. It was to be her 91st birthay present. I'm 6 weeks late. We will be celebrating together tomorrow evening. Hopefully I'll have lovely pictures of her wearing it then!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's beautiful, and you did a really lovely job. Grandmere really does look totally thrilled and impressed with it.
I know what you mean about lace not being hard or easy...it's just, focussed or something. (It's also addictive.)

Cheers!

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home